Legal Assistant Registration Program
Frequently Asked Questions
Skip Navigation Links
CLE / Education
For Lawyers
Legal Help
Special Programs
MyKCBA Login

Q: It is now October/November and I want to apply for my legal assistant card for the current calendar year. Do I still have to pay the full fee?

A: Yes, you do need to pay the full fee. Once we have reviewed your application to make sure you meet all of the program requirements, we will send you two cards for the price of one: a card for the remainder of this year and a card that is valid for the whole of the next calendar year.

Q: If I have never applied for a legal assistant card before from the King County Bar Association, what should I do?

A: Yours is an initial application. If you work under the direct supervision of only one attorney, you are an "employed legal assistant." Click on the link at the bottom of the page labeled "Initial Application for Employed Legal Assistants." If you contract to work for multiple firms, you are a "contract legal assistant" and should click on the link at the bottom of the page labeled "Initial Application for Contract Legal Assistants."

Q: If I had a card last year and I am working for the same firm and attorney, what should I do?

A: Yours is a renewal application. You do not need to submit new letters of recommendation or affidavits if you are working for the same attorney who sent those documents last year. Click on the link at the bottom of the page labeled "Renewal Application for Employed Legal Assistants" or "Renewal Application for Contract Legal Assistants."

Q: What if I had a card before but changed firms or work for different attorneys?

A: In general, you must have worked at the new firm for the required six months before you can apply for your new card. You can use a renewal application form, but you need to submit new letters of recommendation and affidavits from each new attorney you work for.

In the case of contract legal assistants who work for multiple attorneys, you do not need to resubmit affidavits from attorneys whose documents were provided the previous year, but you must submit new letters of recommendation and affidavits from any new attorney.

If you have been in the KCBA Legal Assistant Registration program for several years and have recently changed firms, you may request that the six-month waiting period be waived. Please have the responsible attorney at your new firm request the waiver in writing. Complete the renewal application, include all of the required documents and also include a letter of recommendation from the responsible attorney at your previous firm.

Q: I am a contract legal assistant and need a card for each of the attorneys I work for. Do you issue multiple cards? What should I do? Do I need to pay an additional fee?

A: Yes, we can issue multiple cards, but please make clear in your cover letter the number of cards you are requesting and the name of the attorney to be listed on each card. Generally, there is no additional fee for up to 4 cards.

Q: What is the difference between a sponsoring attorney and a responsible attorney?

A: The sponsoring attorney is the attorney who takes ultimate responsibility for your compliance with the terms of the legal assistance registration agreement. Responsible attorneys are those attorneys in each of the firms that you work for who are responsible for your work at that firm.

Q: What do I do if I lost my card?

A: If you need a replacement card to use during the same calendar, call or send an email to Julie Gardner at or call 206-267-7013, and we will send you a new one. If you are sending in a renewal application and cannot enclose your card because you lost it, include a statement to that effect with your application.

Q: Can I use my card in the Snohomish or Pierce County Court system?

A: The general answer to this question is, no. The card is designed for use in King County Courts. You would have to call the clerk’s office for Snohomish or Pierce County to find out if a particular judge at that particular court is willing to accept the card.

Revised 9/1/08

KCBA Twitter Logo KCBA Facebook Logo KCBA LinkedIn Logo KCBA Email Logo

King County Bar Association
1200 5th Ave, Suite 700
Seattle, WA 98101
Main (206) 267-7100
Fax (206) 267-7099

King County Bar Foundation Home Page

Charitable Arm of the Bar

Jewels Page

Pillars of the Bar Page

All rights reserved. All the content of this web site is copyrighted and may be reproduced in any form including digital and print
for any non-commercial purpose so long as this notice remains visible and attached hereto. View full Disclaimer.