June 2015 Bar Bulletin
Keeping Up To Date on New CLE Rules
By Denise Medlock
On April 2, the Washington Supreme Court approved changes to continuing legal education regulations of Rule 11 of the Admission to Practice Rules. Some highlights of the changes include:
- Effective January 1, 2016, attorneys admitted in Washington no longer will be required to complete live CLE credits.
- All mandatory credits may be completed using pre-recorded, audio-visual courses.
- Live credits will still be accepted.
- Lawyers will continue to be required to earn a minimum of 45 credits every three years. A minimum of 15 credits must be earned in "law and legal procedure" courses.
- Lawyers will continue to be required to earn a minimum of six credits in "ethics and professional responsibility."
CLE subjects and activities available for credit have been expanded to include the following topics and areas: