The King County Bar Association invites nominations for its annual awards. Nominations must be received by January 20, 2017. Submissions should be made in writing to Kathleen Jensen, Associate Executive Director, King County Bar Association, 1200 5th Ave, Suite 700, Seattle, WA 98101 or by email to KathleenJ@KCBA.org.
- OUTSTANDING LAWYER: Given for distinguished and meritorious service to the legal profession and public in a profession-related activity.
Prior recipients: Lembhard G. Howell, Llewelyn Pritchard, Geoffrey G. Revelle, Carl E. Forsberg, Theresa A. Allman, Thomas E. Kelly, Jr., John M. Davis, Christopher Bayley, William D. Marler, Perkins Coie Guantánamo Bay Defense Team; Daniel Gandara; Thomas Hillier; Prosecution and Defense Teams in the Ridgeway Case; Jeff Robinson; Howard Pruzan; Dave Boerner, Lish Whitson, Mary Wechsler, Patrick McIntyre, Bill Kinzel, Fred Betts, Anthony Savage, Constance Proctor, Rebecca Roe, Margaret McKeown, Fred Tausend, Seattle Japanese-American Citizens League, William Helsell, Charles Z. Smith, Ronald Gould & Robin Anderson, Charles Goldmark, Frederick Paul, Murray Guterson, and Kenneth MacDonald.
- FRIEND OF THE LEGAL PROFESSION: Awarded for distinguished and meritorious service to the legal profession and justice system.
Prior recipients: Jorge L. Barón & Northwest Immigrant Rights Project, Hon. Jay Inslee, Washington Governor, Honorable Edward Murray, Washington State Senate and Honorable Jamie Pedersen, Washington State House of Representatives; Protection Order Advocacy Program, King County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office; Dean Kellye Y. Testy, M. Janice Michels, Washington State Bar Association; KCBA Family Law Section; Barbara Clark, Legal Foundation of Washington; Ada Shen-Jaffe, Columbia Legal Services; Northwest Women’s Law Center; CASA Volunteers; Dean Roland Hjorth and the University of Washington School of Law, Bob Boruchowitz, Chief Norm Stamper, Ron Sims, Ruth Walsh, Lucy Berliner, Sandra Madrid, and Kathleen Taylor.
- HELEN M. GEISNESS OUTSTANDING LAWYER OR NON-LAWYER: Given for exemplary distinguished service on behalf of the King County Bar Association.
Prior recipients: Daniel Gandara, Sharon A. Sakamoto, J. Richard Manning, Charles S. Burdell, Jr., Alice Paine; Fred Noland; Karen Sutherland; Steve DeForest; Law Firm of Larson, Hart & Shepherd; Dan Gottlieb, Scott Smith, Colleen Kinerk, WLPM, Matt Sayre, Mary Alice Theiler, Caroline Davis, Peter Greenfield, Gary Maehara, Stew Cogan, Fred Butterworth, Judicial Screening Committees I & II, Helen Pulsifer, Jack Hepfer, Wayne Blair, Lowell Halverson, William Dwyer, John Rupp, and Helen Geisness.
- OUTSTANDING JUDGE: Awarded to an active or retired judge of any municipal court in King County, King County District Court, King County Superior Court, Division I of the Court of Appeals, Washington Supreme Court, U.S. District Court (Western District), Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals and Bankruptcy Court, for distinguished service to the legal profession, the judiciary, and the public in a profession-related activity.
Prior recipients: Judge Ronald Kessler, Judge Ronald E. Cox, Judge Bruce W. Hilyer, Judge LeRoy McCullough, Judge Charles J. Delaurenti, II, Justice Gerry Alexander, Judge William Downing; Judge Robert Lasnik; Judge Richard A. Jones; Judge Wesley Saint Clair, Judge Robert Alsdorf, Judge Sharon Armstrong, Judge Helen Halpert, Judge Bobbe Bridge, Judge Ann Schindler, Justice C.Z. Smith, Judge Patricia Aitken, Justice Barbara Durham, Judge Anne Ellington, J. Carmen Otero, J. Robert F. Utter, J. Charles V. Johnson, J. Betty Fletcher, J. Gary Utigard, J. Walter McGovern, J. Solie Ringold, J. Gerard Shellan, J. Frank Howard, J. Donald Voorhees, J. Charles Stafford, and J. Charles Horowitz.
- WILLIAM L. DWYER OUTSTANDING JURIST: An award recognizing a lifetime of achievement as a judge in a court with jurisdiction including King County. This award is given in special circumstances, and is not necessarily an annual award.
Prior recipients: 2015 – Judge Marsha Pechman, U.S. District Court, 2014 – Judge Thomas S. Zilly, U.S. District Court, 2013 - Judge Sharon S. Armstrong, King County Superior Court, 2011 - Judge Susan R. Agid, Washington Court of Appeals, Division One, 2009 - Judge Ronald Gould, US Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, 2008 - Judge H. Joseph Coleman, Washington Court of Appeals, Division One, 2007 - Judge Betty Fletcher, US Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit; 2006 - Judge Robert Winsor, Washington Court of Appeals; 2005 - Justice Robert Utter, Washington State Supreme Court; 2004 - Judge John C. Coughenour, U.S. District Court; 2003 - Judge Carolyn R. Dimmick, U.S. District Court; 2001 -Judge Eugene A. Wright, U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit; 1999 - Justice James Dolliver; Washington State Supreme Court; 1998- and William L. Dwyer, U.S. District Court.