The Housing Justice Project provides free legal assistance and interpreters to low-income renters (tenants) facing eviction in King County, Washington.

How we can help


We can help by:

  • Representing renters at courthouse eviction hearings (show cause hearings)
  • Negotiating with landlords if you’re a renter facing eviction
  • Answering questions about eviction paperwork
  • Sharing referral and resource information

We do not:

  • Help property owners (landlords), business tenants, or homeowners
  • Give advice to commercial or business renters
  • Assist those living outside King County
  • Offer legal assistance with non-eviction cases

How to get help

To request eviction-related legal assistance, you can contact us in four different ways:

  1. Call (206) 580-0762 for help fighting an eviction.
  2. Email with photos of the most recent paperwork you have received. You may also fax your documents to 206-205-8059.

When you contact us, please let us know:

  • If you need free assistance from an interpreter and your preferred language.
  • Your name
  • Your phone number

What we need to help you

Once we have reviewed the information about your eviction notice, you may qualify for free legal advice.

To prepare for your session with our legal team, please provide:

  • Lease agreement
  • Rent receipts or cancelled checks
  • Print outs of all paperwork from the landlord or landlord’s attorney (for example, 3-day notice, 10-day notice, summons & complaint, order to show cause, etc.)
  • Record of all letters or emails to and from the landlord or landlord’s attorney
  • Photos
  • A timeline of events (when possible)
  • Witnesses (on the day of hearing only)

Where to go to get help

Legal clinic locations and hours

Note: Request help by emailing, or calling (206) 580-0762 .

If you are not able to contact HJP by phone or email, you can visit the HJP offices.

King County Courthouse 516 Third Avenue, Room-W314 Seattle, WA 98104

Monday-Friday: 9:00am - 12:00pm

Regional Justice Center 401 Fourth Avenue North Room 1281 Kent, WA 98032

Monday-Friday: 9:00am - 12:00pm

More resources

What legal assistance or resources are available during the COVID-19 pandemic?

What are my rights as a renter?

What other organizations can I contact for help?

  • 2-1-1: Call for referrals to financial assistance, legal help, and housing advocacy resources.
  • Washington Law Help: Free legal information and court forms to guide you through the court processes of eviction and security deposit disputes.
  • Tenant Law Center: Free legal help for low-income tenants facing eviction, subsidy terminations, or legal disputes with their landlords.
  • King County Law Library: Sells King County eviction forms and instructions for standard landlord-tenant situations.
  • Northwest Justice Project: Operates a toll-free intake and referral hotline for people seeking free legal assistance.
  • Solid Ground: Connects people with resources and tools to help them stabilize their housing, access healthy food, and build stronger futures for themselves and their families.

For urgent eviction-related issues, please call 2-1-1 or 1-877-211-9274 to connect with free, confidential community services in Washington state.

Learn more about COVID-19 eviction protection for renters here.