HJP clinics are currently closed
HOW TO CONTACT US
Monday – Friday, 8:00 AM – 12:00 PM
PHONE: (253) 234-4204
If you need legal advice regarding an eviction matter, please call and leave a message. Please state your name, your phone number, and a brief description of the legal documents your landlord has served you, or the questions you would like to ask an attorney. If English is not your first language, and you would like assistance from an interpreter, please state the language you speak.
If you have any legal documents you would like to share with us, please email your name, your phone number, and/or any photos, scans, or screenshots to email@example.com
It may take some time for HJP to return your call or email. If you do not provide a phone number, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to contact you and assist you. If you have not received a call from us in 2-3 days, however, please call again. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience caused.
If you are facing an urgent situation, please call “2-1-1” and check the self-help information and packets outside of the HJP clinic offices. These packets and more self-help information may also be found at www.washingtonlawhelp.org.
The Housing Justice Project (HJP) is a homelessness prevention program providing accessible volunteer-based legal services for low-income tenants facing eviction in King County.
Who We Serve
- King County residents
- Residential tenants only - no business tenants or homeowners
What We Do
- Legal advice for tenants with eviction related issues
- Help answering eviction paperwork
- Negotiations with landlords for tenants facing eviction
- Representation of tenants at eviction (show cause) hearings
- Referral and resource information
We Do Not
- Help landlords
- Help commercial/business tenants
- Help those living outside King County
- Help with cases other than eviction
- Provide on-going representation
- Give legal advice over the phone
- HJP does not take appointments
How To Reach Services
Recorded information available in Spanish at: (206) 267-7090
*Marque número uno para información en Español
Come to our offices listed below to meet with an attorney. You will first talk to a legal assistant who will collect information from you before you talk with an attorney. No appointment is necessary.
HJP Clinic Locations and Hours:
If you are responding to a court action that has been filed against you, review the pleadings to determine whether the action was filed in the Kent Courthouse or the Seattle Courthouse.
If you are unsure where the court action has been filed against and you live in King County north of Interstate 90 or within the city limits of Seattle, Mercer Island, Bellevue, Issaquah, North Bend, and Vashon and Maury Islands you should go to the courthouse in Seattle.
If you live South of Interstate 90 and do not live in any of the cities listed above, you should go to the Kent Courthouse.
Clinic Locations and Hours
516 Third Avenue, Room-W314
Seattle, WA 98104
Monday-Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
Monday Afternoon: 3:45 p.m. - 4:45 p.m. (clients must arrive prior to 5:00 p.m. for the afternoon clinic)
Regional Justice Center
401 Fourth Avenue North, Room
1281 Kent, WA 98032
Monday-Friday: 8:00 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.
How To Prepare
- Decide if you want to move or stay
- Write a timeline of events when possible
- Bring to HJP:
- Lease Agreement
- Rent receipts or cancelled checks
- All paperwork from the landlord or landlord’s attorney (3-day notice, 10-day notice, summons & complaint, order to show cause, etc.)
- All letters or emails to and from the landlord or landlord’s attorney
- Witnesses – on the day of hearing only