MEMBER SERVICES DIRECTOR
The King County Bar Association promotes and supports a diverse and collegial membership; works with the judiciary to achieve excellence, equity, and accessibility in the administration of justice; and benefits the community through public service and engagement in public policy.
Reports to the Associate Executive Director.
Directs member service activities and resources to ensure alignment with the mission, values, and objectives of the department and organization. Oversees development, planning and management of member service programming and initiatives using analytics-driven strategies to drive strategic growth. The Director of Member Services works collaboratively across the organization and with various stakeholder groups to identify, build and promote member value that has broad appeal to each of KCBA member segments.
Member Services Leadership & Oversight
- Provide leadership and oversight of all Member Services programs including membership support, lawyer referral services, continuing legal education programming, publications, and special events
- Meet regularly with Member Service team leads to coordinate work among programs and provide supervision, mentoring, and support as needed
- Develop and execute business strategies to achieve short and long term goals for member service areas to ensure engagement and growth
- Responsible for fiscal oversight including budget management, development, training and assisting with KCBA state and federal audits
- Develop effective working relationships with membership and marketing staff at local area legal firms, bar associations and related legal organizations, service groups, community organizations, and companies, including making recruitment presentations
- Direct and evaluate member service operations to assure excellence of service and complaint management, information technologies and performance and quality control objectives
- Maintain current professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing professional networks both in the legal and association communities and participating in professional industry associations
- Provide fiscal management and program support to the Federal Bar Association of Western Washington and the South King County Bar Association
Member Services Program Management
- Works with the membership team to develop strategies for member retention and recruitment with an emphasis on greater participation and involvement of members through innovative marketing, outreach, enhanced member benefits, and strategic event planning
- In collaboration CLE and Events team, ensure that CLE programs enhance the legal ability and knowledge of the Association membership for improved professional competency and better legal services to the general public
- Works with the Lawyer Referral Services (LRS) team to develop strategies for panel member retention and recruitment, development of panel experience standards, innovative website and online marketing to reach prospective clients in need of legal services
- Assist program/board committees to assure program policies and procedures are current and relevant
- Ensures successful implementation, delivery and management of all Association print and electronic journals, books and other products including publication schedules, production and sales of the Bar Bulletin and Washington Lawyers Practice Manual. Works with publication editors and staff and to ensure strategic and publication goals are realized. Develops new initiative to increase revenue through subscriptions and ad sales to positively impact Association Resources
- Assist staff with client concerns
- Oversees the planning and execution of all association events both the Association and Foundation to meet program goals and objectives
- Deploys resources efficiently and effectively toward organizational goals, working with staff to balance workload and effort among individual programs
- Partners with IT to manage overall member service technology needs including the understanding of all relevant databases to ensure operational effectiveness and information/data is entered accurately
New Lawyers Division (NLD) – Mentoring – Oversight
- Develop strong working relationships with NLD Board members
- Attend NLD Board of Trustees meetings and communicate with officers regarding overall association activities and policies
- Assist the NLD Board of Trustees in strategic planning process
- Provide guidance to NLD committees regarding member recruitment, needs, outreach and assist committees with evaluation of events and programs and event planning
WHO YOU ARE
A team player who has the following skills:
- Positive, engaging, intelligent, and articulate individual who can relate to people at all levels of an organization and possesses excellent communication skills
- Previous experience in a membership association with a background in membership engagement, continuing education and event planning preferred
- Demonstrated experience initiating, managing, delivering and evaluating membership focused projects, programs, and services
- Experience analyzing data to understand current membership and continuing education trends and to assess future membership needs and opportunities
- Ability to operate at both the strategic and tactical level, with keen attention to detail.
- Demonstrated commitment to race equity
- Ability to manage multiple projects and competing deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple department budgets with fiscal oversight
- Ability to work with and lead collaborative teams
- Possess a strong work ethic and commitment to the bar's mission
- Strong understanding of technology including: experience with Learning Management Systems, Association Management Systems, and Customer Relations Management systems, Microsoft Office software and a willingness to learn new software
And who has the following education and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Sales, or Marketing or relevant life experience
- Minimum of five years of increasingly complex management and administrative experience, with non-profit management preferred
- Strong experience in oral/written communications, multi-tasking, and communicating with all members of the community
Founded in 1886, KCBA is a membership legal organization with over 5,500 attorney members, 45 staff and an annual budget of over $4,000,000. As an equal opportunity employer, KCBA is committed to upholding an equity and justice-based organizational environment for the public, the client communities it serves, its members, its Boards, its staff and its volunteers. This means the organization actively promotes mutual respect, acceptance, teamwork, and productivity among people who are diverse in work background; lived and professional experience; immigration status and citizenship; education; race and ethnicity; national origin; sexual orientation; age; indigenous group membership; religious preference; marital status; sensory, mental, and physical abilities; social class; gender identity; veteran status, as well as other differences relevant to equity and justice. The resulting diversity is both a source of organizational strength and a matter of fundamental human fairness.
Please note, one of KCBA’s programs supports attorneys working with parents and guardians of at risk children. As a result, certain convictions would make an applicant ineligible. The King County Bar Association requires all employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To meet this requirement, all employees must provide proof of vaccination approved by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). If you need a reasonable accommodation for the application process, have questions regarding eligibility, or have vaccination questions, contact Len Roden at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This is an exempt, full-time position based in Seattle, WA, with some local travel. Salary range is $83K-$88K (depends on experience), with excellent benefits. Benefits include employer-paid healthcare, 401k plan with automatic employer contribution, subsidized transit pass, flexible spending account, professional development opportunities, paid vacation, sick leave, and more.
Applications are due 11/8/21 via email. Make “Member Services Director” your subject line and send a letter of interest, resume, and three references to: HR@kcba.org.