The mission of the Self Help Plus Program is to provide guidance though a sometimes overwhelming legal system. For those who need legal assistance, but cannot afford expensive retainer fees or the hourly fees attorneys often charge, this program provides a much-needed service.
Who We Serve
Self Help Plus (SHP) helps low-income people that represent themselves in uncontested family law actions.
What We Do
The SHP Program assists clients with cases in the following areas:
- Non-contested marriage dissolutions (divorces that are agreed or in which the other party will not respond)
- Establishment of a parenting plan and child support in non-contested cases when the father has already been determined
The SHP Program completes all of the legal paperwork, so clients are relieved of the pressure of having to complete documents on their own. We are here to instruct clients about the legal process, inform clients of their rights and responsibilities, and to assist with the paperwork. We are available throughout the legal process to address any questions or concerns about the court process.
We Do Not
- Represent clients in court
- Assist with contested marriage dissolutions (divorces)
- Assist with parenting plan modifications (cases where there is already a parenting plan)
- Assist with back child support owed
How To Reach Services
Clients can reach the SHP Program at (206) 267-7080 for more information and to request an application. If a client prefers to come to the office, the address is 1200 Fifth Avenue, Suite 700, Seattle, WA 98101. Applications for the program can be requested by telephone, email, in person at the reception desk, or by clicking the links below.
Applications available here (Documents in PDF format):
How To Prepare
- Request and complete an application for the program.
- Submit the application to the program
- Gather any family law documents – including protection order, restraining order or any paternity paperwork.
- Bring all documents to the first appointment.